Friday, December 29, 2006

O.k. Today is Friday, the first day of our long break. Thank God it is finally here! I can't get the font set exactly right for this post. I don't know what the problem is, but it is NOT right!

I'm sure this break will fly by. Our long set of Day Shifts preceeding this break were brutal. It was like an endurance race to the end. On our last one, Thursday, Dec. 28, 2006 there was a reception held for Captain James Parrish at Dino's Resteraunt. He is leaving the Sheriff's Department for good and returning to the U.S. Army, as an adjutant to a 3 star Female General at the Pentagon. I, along with many others will sure miss him. I wish him all the luck in the world in his new assignment. By the way, his Army rank is Lt. Colonel. I salute you, LTC Parrish, and wish you the best.

I went by the 'reception' at Dino's. I only stayed about 30 minutes, due to the fact that I was on duty. I had my portable radio on, but I was afraid that the new Sheriff or Chief Deputy would take note of my presence, being on-duty, and all. No one else from my shift showed up. I have known LTC Parrish from about the 6th Grade at Happy Valley Elementary School, so I had to attend, if only for a few minutes. I also attended R.O.T.C. at East Tennessee State University with James. I got his email addresses, so maybe we can keep in touch.

I am sooooo glad to be off for a few days. I know that it will pass quickly, but at the front end it feels sooooo good. I wish that I never had to go back. More later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kev,

Sorry its been so long since I commented your blog....busy, busy, busy. Sometimes, I think I don't know my johnson from a stick in the mud!

Hope you enjoy your long break. I'm sure you will, but I fully understand what you mean about it flying by. Isn't it bizarre how, on the front end, you're looking at seven days. But when you are heading back in on night shifts, it feels like its only been four (or sometimes three). Sure is weird.

Well, I hope your Christmas was good. We had a blast. Had to work Christmas night, tho', which wasn't much fun. Anyhow, life with Shift 1 isn't so bad.

I think there're going to be a lot of folks in Carter County who're going to miss the good colonel, whether they realize it or not. He and I never really talked, but I always recognized him as a professionalizing influence for your department and a good officer. I'm sure he'll excel wherever he goes.

Well, gotta run. I'm going in at 2 to do some traffic enforcement, then working day shifts after. My idea, though I know its gonna be hell the last few hours. I still love doing traffic enforcement, though, so I'm looking forward to it...and the OT won't hurt, either.

see ya
~j